Sunday 4 March 2012

All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy...

Yes, it's me, yet again!! I really don't know what is up with me at the minute! I'm feeling it, shall we say!!

So now I've decided to talk to you about one of my favourite authors, Mr. Stephen King.







I love this guy, his books and short stories are a genuinely good read (Yes I don't just watch movie's you know, I can read!!) and I can honestly say I've never read a bad thing that he's created in that warped mind of his!

Not counting any adaptations for a TV movie or series, the guy has had 35, yes 35 of his works turned into a feature film, and I'm not even counting the one stand alone screenplay he created there! That's pretty impressive if you ask me, I can't honestly think of any one author who can even come close to that number, can you? I didn't think so guys, this man is something else. What's more impressive is the fact they're not all horror films as a lot of non King fans might have you think. There's even a few shocks as to what he has actually created thrown in for good measure!

I know what you're thinking, "shit, not another list!" but this one is worth it, trust me!

I'll give you a little legend as well so you know what I mean

* is a based on a short story.
+ is based on a novella
- is an original screenplay.

Carrie
The Shining
Creepshow *
Cujo
The Dead Zone
Christine
Children Of The Corn *
Firestarter
Cat's Eye *
Silver Bullet +
Maximum Overdrive *
Stand By Me +
The Running Man
Pet Semetary
Graveyard Shift *
Misery
Tales From The Darkside * (Cat From Hell)
Sleepwalkers -
The Lawnmower Man *
The Dark Half
Needful Things
The Shawshank Redemption +
The Mangler *
Dolores Claiborne
Thinner
The Night Flier *
Apt Pupil +
The Green Mile

Hearts In Atlantis +
Dreamcatcher
Secret Window +
Riding The Bullet *
1408 *
The Mist +
No Smoking * ( A Bollywood film based upon Quitters Inc.)
Dolan's Cadillac *
No come on, that is one mightily impressive list there don't ya think? Now I know some of you will be thinking where is "IT". Well people, "IT" was actually a miniseries developed for TV that was then released in"film form", so it doesn't actually count! We've also got some "Made For TV" movie's like "Sometimes They Come Back" and "Storm Of The Century".

So the plan is now to pick a couple out and do a quick review on them so you get your pictures and trailers, how nice am I to you hey?

What you will notice is that I'll be missing two of his most successful adaptations out as I have another article where they will be coming up in it.

So first up is.....

THE SHINING


Directed by the master known as Stanley Kubrick, this is a favourite of a lot of horror buffs such as myself.

Well apart from the main guy himself, Stephen King. He despised this adaptation so much so that he created his own version for TV back in 1997. The only way he could get it made was if he agreed to stop slagging of Kubrick, so that gives you an idea of how he felt about it!

Following Jack Torrance (an awesome Jack Nicholson) as he takes his family to a hotel where he'll be the winter caretaker so he can work on his writing, the isolation of the hotel and some very dodgy goings on leads to Jack slowly losing his mind and deciding to kill his family for something to do. Add in his son has also got some telepathic ability it makes for some fun and games.

Well not really if you can't a hallway full of blood, some scary dead twins and an ugly naked ghost, but meh that doesn't matter.

King felt that Kubrick took too many liberties with his novel and made it public he wasn't a fan. By all means search it out yourself and you be the judge. I personally like the film but I do love the novel more, I guess I have a good imagination as I could picture everything King wrote and when I saw Kubrick's version it wasn't how I envisioned it, but that's just my personal opinion.

Here's the trailer...

Ok so I know it doesn't say much but trust me give it a go, you'll be impressed.

Next up is...

MISERY


Now this is a film I only finally got to see a few years back. It was well worth the wait. A dark psychological horror it shows what happens when someone gets a bit too excited and starts to believe that what somebody writes in a novel is the truth (you people take note over what I write ok and don't go mental on me!)

James Caan plays Paul Sheldon, a famed author who decides to kill off his most famous character. Travelling up to the cabin he uses to write his novels, he starts working on a new unrelated story. On his way back west he hits a blizzard and crashes. Awakening with 2 broken legs and a dislocated shoulder, Paul is totally bedridden but luckily for him, his "number one fan" Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates) came across him and nurses him. One main problem though, Annie adores Paul's Misery books and on purchasing his latest, finds out that Misery has been killed off and goes a little bit....crazy shall we say? What follows is a taut scary ride as Paul realises nobody knows where he is and Annie has previous for killing people.

Oh I will say keep an eye out for the sledgehammer scene and tell me you don't wince or look away, even I had to at one point!!

Have a look....


Last but certainly not least is a classic coming of age tale that a lot of people honestly don't realise is a Stephen King story


STAND BY ME





Yes, Stand By Me is based on a novella by Stephen King, told you it wasn't just horror didn't I?!

This film goes onto a lot of people's favourite lists due to it being a great film with some amazing acting by the likes of River Phoenix, Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Feldman and Jerry O'Connell.

The story is about a group of 4 boys who hear that there is a dead body just out of town, so we follow them on their journey to not only find the body but find themselves.

Yes I know it sounded so clichéd, fuck even I knew it was when I wrote it but honestly it's the truth. I adore this film and I demand you see it. That is all.




So there we have it, a quick look at the best adaptations in my opinion of Stephen King's works. Like I said I've purposely left out a few as there's something special coming up in the next few days that will possibly explain as to why King's works are used so much.

So until Part 2...

This is Vader signing out.

All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy All Work And No Play Makes Vader A Dull Boy


Sorry....that's one poor joke there!

No comments:

Post a Comment